PODD Introductory Workshop - 2 Days EXPRESSION OF INTEREST ONLY
ATANZ is hoping to organise the 2- day PODD Introduction Workshop late September-early October 2020 when the speaker Gayle Porter can come over from Australia depending on the developments with COVD 19.
We are looking for expressions of Interest from our members and the wider community. Please submit your EOI through this form https://forms.gle/G7tUgCzy52DVkBjc8
This workshop will be of interest to speech pathologists, occupational therapists and teachers working with children who have complex communication needs
The Pragmatic Organisation Dynamic Display (PODD) approach provides strategies to support the design, production and implementation of communication systems to enable genuine communication for a variety of functions in all daily environments. PODD includes strategies to minimise some of the common difficulties associated with the use of multi-level communication books including:
- Supporting the child and communication partners to efficiently move between levels (pages) to locate vocabulary they require.
- Speed to access vocabulary to produce messages.
- Quicker access to predictable messages and access to a broad range of vocabulary for spontaneous, unpredicted messages.
The PODD resource provides generic templates which can be customised to suit individual requirements. Generic templates can be used for trial to enable more informed system development and then be customised to suit individualised needs. PODD can be used to create a wide range of communication books to suit varying communication, language, sensory and physical access requirements. Creative and practical solutions will be demonstrated through videos and case examples. Participants will have the opportunity for hands on supported practice using PODD communication books.
Participants will learn to:
- Describe the challenges faced by professionals creating communication systems in terms of vocabulary organisation, layout, design, range of access strategies and customizing for individual requirements.
- Discuss the features of a PODD communication system in terms of vocabulary organization, layout, design, range of access strategies and customizing for individual requirements.
- Use PODD generic template resources to produce customised communication books.
- Discuss the teaching and learning strategies for implementing PODD communication systems with students and team members.
- Teach children and partners to use PODD communication books in daily environments.
About the Presenter
Gayle Porter is a Speech Pathologist with over 30 years hands on experience working with people with complex communication needs. Gayle lectures both locally and internationally about Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) and Pragmatic Organisation Dynamic Displays (PODD). Gayle currently works at the Cerebral Palsy Education Centre and has a private practice working with both children and teenagers with complex communication needs in their local schools. Gayle is the co-author of “Integrating Augmentation and Alternative Communication into Principles of Conductive Education”. She also contributed a chapter to the book "Communication Without Speech" (Bloomberg & Johnson 1991). Gayle is a highly sought after international presenter.
|Event End Date||10-10-2020|
|Individual Price||TBC at a later date|